1st edition of the Brazilian-French Summer School
5-10 September 2010
São Carlos (Brazil)
The School on Instrumentation for Astronomy and Organic Electronics, will be held from 5 to 10 September 2010 in São Carlos. This Summer school are co-organised by Brazilian and French partners, which are CNPq/FAPESP, POPsud/OPTITEC.
This school is the 1st edition of the Brazilian-French Summer School in optics-photonics fields, and the 2ed edition will be held in French in 2010, in the South of France (Marseille)
The goal of this School is to offer the students qualification in the highly innovative domain of instrumentation applied to two different branches of contemporaneous Science & Technology: Astronomy and Organic Electronics. Skills will be acquired at the interdisciplinary level needed to develop original concepts and applications.
Lectures are in English.
Each course is composed by 3-4 lectures with a total duration of about 5.5 hours. The list of courses and lecturers are:
1) New Instrumentation Concepts – Ground-based Optical Telescopes
Dr. Keith Taylor
Departamento de Astronomia, IAG/USP, Brazil
2) The fabrication and multiple uses of sensors and biosensors
Dr. Osvaldo N. Oliveira Jr.
Instituto de Física de São Carlos, USP, Brazil
3) Multispectral Imagery and astronomical developments: data reconstruction, source separation, anomaly detection, and identification
Dr. Mireille Guillaume
Ecole Centrale Marseille and Institut Fresnel, Marseille, France
4) Adaptive optics for astronomy and other applications: from the optical aberrations to their correction
Dr. Brice Le Roux,
Observatoire Astronomique de Marseille-Provence, LAM, France
Classes will be targeted at senior graduate students. Interested students should write to Simone (email@example.com) in the Brazilian side and Jocelyne (School2010@popsud.org) in the French side with CV and a one-page description of why they would like to attend this school. Partial funds will be available for this meeting from POPSUD and CNPq/FAPESP. The organizing committee is composed by: François Flory, Henri Plana, Philippe Amram, Roberto Faria and Claudia Mendes de Oliveira.
The school will be held on September 5-10, 2010, in the city of São Carlos, interior of the state of São Paulo, Brazil. The venue will be a farm in the outskirts of the city and hotel accommodations in São Carlos should be preferred by the participants.
will be a welcome cocktail at the Anfiteatro Prof. Horácio Carlos
Panepucci (also known as anfi azul) in the Physics Institute of the
university of São Carlos (in the old Physics building) at 19:00h on
Sunday, September 5th.
Programmed visits during the School:
- Aeronautic Museum;
- Historic Farm “Conde do Pinhal”;
- Opto Electrônica (a modern Company of precision optics, special thin films, laser for industrial applictions, aerospace projects,
- LNLS, National Laboratory of Synchrotron Light, etc.