Biographical Information of Antonio Mário Magalhães
Undergraduate and Graduate Studies
- Graduated in Physics at the Physics Institute,
Univ. of São Paulo,
- Masters (1974) at IAG-USP
on "Polarization of Light by Aerosols of Iron and Iron Oxide -
Comparison with Mie's Theory". A related paper is:
- 'On the Polarizing Interstellar Dust' (Codina-Landaberry, S.J.,
Marcondes-Machado, J.A. & Magalhães, A.M. 1974, Astron. &Astrophys.
- PhD in 1979 at IAG-USP with his thesis "Intrinsic
Polarization of Late-Type Variable Stars - Observations and
Interpretation". Related papers are:
- "Narrow-Band Polarization Effects in Cool Stars",
Astron. J. 82, 908, 1977 (G.V. Coyne & A.M. Magalhães).
- "Changes in Polarization across TiO Band in Cool Stars",
Astron.J. 84, 1200, 1979 (G.V. Coyne & A.M. Magalhães)
- "Narrow Band Polarimetry of Southern Red Long Period
Variables", Astron.J. 58, 875, 1980 (S.J. Codina-Landaberry &
- Former Chair (1984 - 1988),
Department at IAG-USP
- Visiting Scientist, Lunar and Planetary Laboratory, University of
Arizona, EUA, August/1981 through July/1983.
- Visiting Associate Professor, Space Astronomy Laboratory, University
of Wisconsin-Madison, EUA, July/1989 through June/1992.
- "Polarized Radiation of Circumstellar Origin", eds.
G.V.Coyne, A.M. Magalhães, A.F.J. Moffat, R.E. Schulte-Ladbeck,
S. Tapia and D.T. Wickramasinghe (Vaticano: Specola Vaticana), 815 páginas,
- "Interstellar Dust and Image and Data Processing",
eds. B. Barbuy, E. Janot-Pacheco, A.M. Magalhães e S.M. Viegas, V
Escola Avançada de Astrofísica - IAG-USP, 200 páginas,
Magalhães has built a number of polarimeters in Brazil and CTIO.
He was also part of the team of WUPPE,
an Astro-1 UV Space Shuttle telescope, when at the University of
Please check my
list of papers in the
field of Astronomical Polarimetry.